Comments:GeoGebra Newsletter 2012-05
GeoGebra Website down 9th May
The GeoGebra website, forum and wiki will be down for scheduled maintainance on 9th May 2012 for 9 hours at these times.
- GeoGebra Webstart should be unaffected but if necessary you can use our emergency download server
- If you need urgent help during that time, please ask at http://www.facebook.com/geogebra or send a tweet to @geogebra on twitter.
- GeoGebra Conference 2012 in Warsaw, Poland on 21-23 September, 2012. Join us to share your ideas with other members of the Community! Early registration is possible until 30 June 2012.
- GeoGebra ICME Pre-conference 2012 in Seoul, Korea on Sunday, 8 July, 2012, just one day before ICME 2012. Please register soon as we can only accommodate 100 people.
- 3rd North-America GeoGebra Conference 2012 in Mexico on 25-28 July 2012. Submission of proposals until 25 May.
- Latin-American GeoGebra Conference 2012 in Medellin, Columbia on 2-4 Aug 2012
- We have released an alpha version of our new GeoGebra Web Application that runs in any modern web browser (on all devices). It currently includes the Algebra View, Input Bar and Toolbar. Please give feedback in the GeoGebraWeb Forum.
- GeoGebra 4 (version 188.8.131.52) has been released with bugfixes and Armenian as a new language
GeoGebra 4.2 News
- The Python View will soon be removed from GeoGebra 4.2 beta, so you will need to use GeoGebra 5 Beta if you wish to continue using it, like the new Turtle object in Python
- Alt-drag on a parabola to rescale it leaving the vertex unchanged
- New commands: ShowGrid, ShowAxes, SetTrace
- Export images (PNG, SVG, etc) from the command line using --export and --dpi
- The Input Bar will ignore accents when matching command names (eg. 'De' will match the command 'Dérivée' in French)
Tutorials & Materials
Some nice resources on GeoGebraTube:
- Hyperbolic Geometry in the Poincaré Disk
- Fourier Series Accuracy / Précision / Precisió
- Rainbow Formation
- Fractal fern
- Myles Shrinking Circle
- Electric Field & Potential
- Two Spinning Dots With Trace of Midpoint
- Lens Simulation for iPad
- Playback menu for constructions
- Cubic Polynomial
- Unwrapping a Circle
- Geometry and Operation of a Sextant
And from other sites:
GeoGebra Community News
- It would be great if you could join us at CADGME on 22-24 June 2012 and CAME on 21 June 2012 both held in Novi Sad, Serbia.
- Follow the Mascheroni CAD Team: GeoGebra Italia Blog One of their latest project( "A lesson with GeoGebra".) has been awarded at I Giovani e le Scienze 2012!
- Sign up for the Midwest GeoGebra Journal. They are currently recruiting volunteers to review manuscripts for the journal for publication in 2012 and looking for funding so that the GeoGebra Midwest Conference can be free for participants.
- The FMSP is running an online Geogebra for A level Maths course, More info
- GeoGebra Ambassador Lakshmi
- Masters degree and Doctorate degree in Mathematic Education in Chile (Spanish)
GeoGebra in the Media
- Jeff Patmore's blog on GeoGebra: A Picture of Maths
- Innovative way to improve SA maths in The Heralds
- Why Master Solution Suite XL for the implementation of Netbookprojekts?
- World Education Games 2012 Constructivist Medal Winner.The winning entry is a video which uses GeoGebra in its construction
- The spirit of eTeaching
New GeoGebra Institutes
- GeoGebra Institute of ATEPS, Tunis, Tunesia
- GeoGebra Institute of Rome, Italy
- GeoGebra Institute of Milano, Italy
- 4 May: Verkoston kokous Oulussa 4.5.12 at Oulu University, Finland
- 5-6 May: Introduction to GeoGebra (for School Teachers), in Kochi, India
- 17-20 May: Tavaszi Szél Konferencia, with GeoGebra workshop in Gyor, Hungary
- 23 May: GeoGebra Conference and Workshop of GI Maine 2012 in Biddeford, Maine, US
- 23 May: GeoGebra-CCITE Talk (Cambridge-Szeged Society), in Cambridge, UK
- 26 May: GeoGebra Day of Portugal-Annual Meeting in Porto, Portugal
- 27 May: 7th Annual Conference in Mathematics and Statistics Service Teaching and Learning, with GeoGebra workshop in Maynooth, Ireland
- 7 Jun: The Eighth International Mathematics Festival at National University of Liberia, Guanacaste, Costa Rica
- 11-12 Jun: Midwest Regional Conference of GeoGebra 2012 at Miami University, Oxford OH, US
- 21 Jun CAME in Novi-Sad, Serbia
- 21-23 Jun: 4th European Conference on Computer Sciences and Applications in Timisoara, Romania
- 22-24 Jun: CADGME 2012 in Novi Sad, Serbia
- 28-30 Jun: MEI 2012, at University of Keele, UK
Other Conferences and Dates
We are maintaining a list of conferences in which it would be helpful if you could represent GeoGebra.
If you have news for our next newsletter, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.